Carbon Ambassadors Uncut
1. Carbon footprints – What is the carbon cycle? What is contraction and convergence, and how does it link global, national and local carbon reductions? What are the ten biggest actions we can take to save CO2 and can they improve our quality of life? With guest speaker Mike Berners-Lee, author of “How Bad are Bananas? The carbon footprint of everything”.
2. Food – What kind of food supports the highest quality of life? Why does an organic carrot from Kenya have a smaller footprint than a non-organic carrot from the UK? What is low-carbon meat, and why is UK meat better than international meat? How to buy low-carbon food. Why is farming going to avert climate change? With guest speaker Rob Richmond, dairy farmer pioneereing carbon sequestration practices.
3. Quality of life – What do we mean by quality of life, and how does it connect to saving CO2? How can we monitor our quality of life and track it over time? What does Happy Planet Indexing say about happiness and sustainable living? With Lord Richard Layard, Founder of Action for Happiness, a charity, and author of “Can We be Happier?”
4. Transport – How will we get transport to net zero? How do different types of transport compare, and how much difference do size and fuel make in cars? What’s so amazing about e-bikes, and how can we make our journeys better for health and wellbeing? With guest speaker Jane Davidson, former Minister for Environment for Wales.
5. Shopping – How can individuals influence manufacturing? How can we reduce the footprint of products by 80%? What are the rules of thumb for low-carbon shopping, and what is the ancient Indian BUD factor? How do the products we use affect our quality of life? With guest speaker Paul Allen, from the Centre of Alternative Technology.
6. Holidays – How can we get the most out of our holidays? How far can I travel by different forms of transport on a tonne of CO2? What are the carbon footprints of different kinds of holiday and activity? How can low-carbon holidays raise our quality of life? With guest speaker Satish Kumar, author of “Elegant Simplicity”.
7. Carbon offsetting – What is carbon offsetting, and how does it work? Can offsets help us out of the crisis, or do they only contribute to the problem? A brief analysis of genuine versus false offsets, and how to make offsetting work for you by using appropriate time frames. With guest speaker Kirsty Schneeberger MBE, Head of Partnerships at Climate Care, London.
8. Home Energy – What are the principles of a carbon-neutral home? How does the UK government plan to get Britain’s homes to net zero? How much heat is lost through each area of a typical home, and how can we conserve heat in buildings old and new? With guest speaker Lucy Pedler, Architect and director of The Green Register, promoting sustainable building.